Friday, February 27, 2009

That whole reason I came here


School. University. Whatever you want to call it, I really haven't written too much about it just yet. I'm about to go to African Music, my final class of my second week of school. I'll first give you a brief explanation of how IES (Institute for the International Education of Students, I know, there really should be two I's) works. There are thirty of us in the program and we are all required to take two IES courses and at least two classes at the University of Cape Town. We are taking a "History and Politics of South Africa" class and the elective I chose is called "Social and Economic Development of South Africa." The elective has a field study component to it, so I am paired with an agency to volunteer over the next six months. I complete an extensive research project, take a couple of tests and attend class weekly. My (three) professors for this course are awesome and are from Zimbabwe and South Africa. I like this class a lot because it encourages hands-on learning and it helps me put into perspective what I learn from my history course, and I can see how far South Africa has come since pre-colonial times.

My University of Cape Town courses require a lot of work outside the classroom because I am enrolled in the South African College of Music, which is a big pink castle located on UCT's lower campus (we are on a big hill, thus lower, middle and upper campus). I had an on-the-spot audition with my trumpet (I HATE sight reading) and took a music theory entrance exam, which I breezed through (thanks Gustavo, Bjorn, Kevin SJ and Tom G). I am taking African Music, private trumpet lessons and play in an ensemble. 

Going from a liberal arts music program to a college of music is like taking spanish classes and then moving to Spain. I am intimidated and underqualified and absolutely terrified most of the time. When I talk to some of the other IES students about their classes sometimes I wonder what I got myself into, but I quickly correct myself. Though I'll have to work a lot harder than some of my friends, this is the opportunity or a lifetime. My African Music professor is a gem and is going to work with me on an independent research project to present when I return to Chicago. My trumpet teacher has been instrumental (haha, get it? ok, bad joke) in my adjustment to South Africa, as he is also from San Diego. I haven't gotten the chance to speak privately with the ensemble instructor, but he is really good at what he does and seems to know a lot about music.

I've learned a lot from other students and from my professors as well. Outside of ensemble rehearsal time, we have trumpet and brass sectionals. I also have private lessons two times a week. Add the two IES courses, the African Music class, my fieldwork volunteering and oh yah PRACTICING...well, I'll be keeping busy. Everyone has been so friendly which makes of course helps a lot. Being the only American from my program in the music school has led me to conclude that it is pretty much:

MAKE FRIENDS OR ELSE. I consider myself to be an outgoing person and I love making new friends, so it has been easy to meet people. I've realized that the IES program is perfect for me. Some Americans here only take UCT courses, while others only have courses with the American students in their programs. This way I get the best of both worlds: the experience of being a stranger to 5oo+ students in the college of music, and the comfort of a small group of people who are going through a lot of the same things I am. 

This is also the perfect place for me. I feel like the luckiest girl in the world to not only be studying music at such an accredited university, but to be studying music in a multi-cultural African city. Being so active is going to inevitably make my time here fly by, but I am doing all I can to take time out and reflect on my experiences. Sometimes I'll remind myself that I am at the bottom of the African continent, and I'll just get a huge smile on my face (which makes me look totally creepy when I am by myself in a public place). This is so cool and won't get old. 

I'm also excited to take what I learn back to Chicago with me. I've been journaling and keeping little notes here and there; I am looking forward to just sitting down and putting all of this into music. It has been far too long since I have written anything and after talking with Kevin, a good friend of mine from Chicago, I've decided to scratch this creative itch I've got. Speaking of itches, my flea friends bit the hell out of my roommate, too. So here we are: two itchy, American girls covered in little white steroid cream dots unable to lay in our beds. While inconvenient, it's more funny than irritating. We had the place fumigated so things should settle. 

1 comment:

  1. I am so jealous of you. As you get this amazing opportunity...I'm studying for the freaking MCAT. Kill me. I miss your face.

    ReplyDelete