Thursday, April 23, 2009

Mother Nature's finest


After leaving camp, our safari drivers drove us all around Mpumalanga to view some of the most beautiful landscaping in all of South Africa. We went to God’s Window, Lisbon Falls, and the Blyde River canyon, the largest green canyon in the world. I only wish the photographs I’ve captured and my attempt at writing did even just the smallest bit of justice to the beauty of these places. 
Of course I got carsick, projectile vomiting at our first site, while the others whipped out their cameras with excitement. This wasn’t the first time I was caught on film vomiting during one of our excursions.
Feeling much better, I took the opportunity to walk around and explore Mother Nature’s finest. At the start of the canyon we climbed all over, and because this is Africa, there are no safety regulations: just a warning from the drivers to not be stupid and get ourselves killed. The waterfalls were deep and the rocks were slippery and of course, Suzy fell in, lucky only to get a few scrapes and bruises, losing her shoes. 
Though I can’t recall the Afrikaans names for the rivers, the happy and sad rivers form the canyon. And there’s a story behind their names, but I’ve got a lot to write.

The end of the canyon is truly breathtaking. I haven’t yet been to the Grand Canyon, but I imagine this one to be like just like it, except completely green and blue everywhere. The purest water running through, and plant life all around. I could have sat there the rest of the day. We split up and explored the area, climbing to the tips of large rocks, dangling our legs over the canyon, inches from falling to our deaths. Like I said, there were no fences, no safety regulations. As Leonardo DiCaprio put it the movie Blood Diamond: T-I-A: This is Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment