Friday, April 3, 2009

See you later, See you soon

I'm sorry I haven't written in a bit: I pulled two all-nighters this week to (thankfully) finish up my history class and have been practicing for an upcoming trumpet jury I have, where I play in front of a bunch of professors and have them criticize me (yay).

During my absence from the blogging world, I have been on an African music binge. I definitely urge you to check out some Swahili and east African music, particularly Taarab music - totally unreal. I have also become unhealthily obsessed (if possible) with South African choral music. Seriously, you have to youtube some of this; I guarantee you will be brought to tears. I was.

I've been exploring South African music because I am working on research for my capstone to complete my music degree at Loyola. I am focusing on music during apartheid from township music to the National Party's censorship to western influence to songs of defiance, of oppression and struggle....oh I could go on. This weekend is the Cape Town Jazz Festival and I am about to leave for 11 days to go on a Safari and other adventures in a couple of other African nations. Details to follow upon arrival back in the cape.

Hugh Masekela is headlining the jazz festival, which I will miss the final day of. Masekela is someone I have looked up to as a trumpet player for many years and he is an important part of South African history, being voluntarily exiled during apartheid. In my opinion, he is one of the best jazz artists in the world, and I encourage you to check him out if you are unfamiliar with his music. I've included a link to a CNN interview with him. Anyway, I guess it just isn't in the stars for us to meet tomorrow, but perhaps maybe one day I'll get to see him.

I'm signing off and will be back April 15, so until then I wish you well.

No comments:

Post a Comment